Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving Things

There are certain things that are forever tied into holidays. They become a part of the celebration and excitement of the day. For me Candy Corn will forever be associated with Thanksgiving.
Growing up, there would be candy corn at your place setting on the Thanksgiving table. Before the blessing and subsequent feasting, we would go around and name a blessing for each of the candies. If there was a small group it was 7 and if it was a large group only 3.

And then there is the song. How can a family that has it's own birthday song, not have a Thanksgiving song? I realized that my boys didn't know this song and I felt as if I had betrayed my heritage. But never fear, that will be rectified this year. And for all those future generations that follow me, here is part of your legacy.

Cartloads of Pumpkins as yellow as gold
Onions in silvery strings
Shining red apples
And clusters of grapes
Nuts and a host of good things
Chickens
And turkeys
And fat little pigs
All this is what Thanksgiving brings

I just have one questions for my dearly departed great great ancestor who made this song a tradition. Since when are pumpkins yellow? This has puzzled me since I was little.

I am grateful for all of you my friends. You have enriched my life and made me a better person. Happy Thanksgiving.





1 comment:

Kimmy said...

This is such an adorable post! I love you Noel!