Thursday, December 1, 2011

Poem

The Comforter
by Joseph M. Metzger

Waking before the morning light
long after the cold has settled in
having taken over from where
the warmth once had been.

Closing my eyes again
wanting the day to disappear,
pulling my covers tighter still,
a temporary reprieve

from everyday routines
offering no comfort or relief,
affording no place for my dreams,
leaving me little strength or peace.

But soon I realize I must wake
and place one foot in front of the other
to make my way through the day
leaving the safety of my bed behind.

Wondering what I might have to look forward to,
wondering what I might find
to get me through the day
and through my life.

About to lose all hope and give up once more,
when the kindness of a stranger finds me
and personally reveals to my heart
a wholeness I haven’t felt before,

that I somehow recognize
as the love of the Savior
and finally realize the strength in his name
as Comforter.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

This is awesome! I will have to show Will he loved your poem on your Christmas card last year:)