Saturday, June 5, 2010

Thoughts on Phish


Joe has purchased tickets to four Phish concerts this year. Nope, that isn't a misprint. Four. It probably would be more, but his sister Karen's wedding is on the same weekend of the SPAC (Saratoga Performing Arts Center) shows. He has tickets on the 18th and 19th in Hartford. The 22nd in Boston and the 26th in Maryland.
"So what?" you are thinking. "We are supposed to be surprised by Joe Metzger's obsession with Phish?"
No, I know you all realize Joe's true love.

The news here is that after 10 years on hiatus, I will be joining him for one of the Phish concerts. To prepare me for the blessed event Joe has been giving me homework assignments and quizzes. I'm not doing too well.

As I have been inundated with Phish, I am continually amazed at the level of commitment it takes to truly be a Phish fan. Joe can tell you the set list of any concert he has been to and some that he hasn't. This is the same guy who can't remember which cupboard the pans go into. When he gets together with other Phish fans, he can talk for hours about all things Phish. He knows technic they use on the instruments, the mythology behind their lyrics, and how to clap on Stash.

I'm afraid that I just don't have it in me to devote so much to Phish. Deep in his heart, I know Joe wishes I could share his devotion to his beloved quartet. That may never happen, but I will learn how to clap on Stash.

No comments: