Sunday, July 19, 2009

Our Weekend

My Matthew has had some unusual bruising the past few months. I had this nagging feeling that it wasn't normal, but ignored it until I just couldn't anymore. So I called the doctor and asked if I could bring him in to have some blood work done. The phone conversation to set up the appointment went something like this.

Receptionist
: He's two and you want to bring him in for some bruising?
Me: Yes
Receptionist: Does he have a fever?
Me: No
Receptionist: Fatigue?
Me: No
Receptionist: Just bruising?
Me: Yep.

I probably would have canceled if I hadn't already made and canceled an appointment and the feeling just wouldn't go away. I decided to be the crazy paranoid mom and just take him in.

I take him in and the doctor says, "Yea, those bruises don't look like normal bruises. Let's get that lab work done."

Here, the panic in my chest begins to grow. I begin to take deep breathes to stave off the mental breakdown that is moments from happening.

Later that afternoon the pediatrician calls back and says, "There is good news and bad news. The good news is that his white and red counts are great. The bad news is that his platelet count is 1 and normal is around 400. You need to pack a bag and take him to the hospital. You'll be spending a few days there."

OK, here is where I'm pretty sure that my beating heart is going to break through my rib cage and gallop across the room.

I call Joe, then my visiting teacher to take the boys, calm Nicholas and Holden down, pray with them, and pack a bag. All the time convinced that the next minute will find me curled up in the fetal position in the corner.

I take my little two year old to the hospital, check in, and wait. We see a slew of doctors. The resident, the attending, the medical student, the intern, and the hematologist.

The hematologist tells us that Matthew has ITP. For some unknown reason his body has begun to fight his own platelets. In 80% of cases the body will fix itself within 12 months without any future episodes.

I can't describe the feeling of relief that I felt.

Poor Matthew had to have blood work done and an IV put in his small hand. They gave him a drug called WinRho which will help to raise his platelet levels.

In spite of spending the night in the hospital and all that entails, I felt happy, grateful, and blessed. Funny what a little perceptive will do for you. Matthew was happy most of the time. He got to watch Thomas and Elmo and play in the great toy room. He just didn't like getting the IV put in. He isn't sick at all. He's the same crazy adorable baby. Here is a video and some pictures of our stay at the hospital.





We got to come home yesterday. Matthew's platelet level is at a 22. We have a bunch of doctor visits and blood work in front of us. So all of you pray that his platelets continue to increase.

Oh and by the way, Matthew told me that there aren't any monsters at the hospital. Just in case you were wondering.

12 comments:

Jen said...

Poor little guy! It is so stressfull when the kids are sick, let alone having to be hospitalized. We will be praying for him to have a full recovery soon.

Matt and Serenity Stewart said...

Oh no thats not fun at all!! I hope he starts getting better soon. We will pray for him on this en for a speedy recovery

Anonymous said...

Mom called me and told me what happened and after she told me i went on the computer to see exactly what it was. Man i am so sorry to hear about Matthew i will keep him in my prayers. Keep me in touch love you tons
Annie

Dave and Janine Butters said...

You have the best intuition ever!!! Remember when you felt dumb for taking Holden to the DR. for a broken arm and they though you were dumb too! Trust your gut Noel, you are an amazing mother :) And let me know if you have insight for me too! Keep me updated as to his latest platelet counts. And hey, it could be worse...could be raining (oh, wait, I've heard it's rained for like 2 months straight). Love you :)

Royce and Deanne Wooly said...

There is nothing harder for a mommy than to see her child in a hospital and losing all control over what happens to them! We will keep you and Matthew in our prayers and hopefully everything will be up hill from here! Love ya kiddo

mckellebmassmemo said...

I'm so impressed that you stuck with your "feeling" Poor little guy. What a trial for your family. We'll be praying for you all.

Ackerman/Mejias Family said...

We are so happy he is safe and at home where he belongs!!!!!!

Marianne said...

What a cute little guy--I'm sorry you have to go through this and glad to know that it will probably resolve soon. We will be praying for you.

Dana and ohana said...

Noel, thanks for the six falgs fun this last week AND the cup AND the popcorn bucket AND lending us your hubby for Anders and nikki's wedding. It was great to see you and good luck with all the medical drama. We've been there, done that and I am sure he will bounce back as quick as Ansen did. I think boys are required to have crazy medical issues.

Sonja said...

Noel, just checking to back to see if there was any other news. Sure love you and your cute family and I'm always thinking of you!

Pack N Pounce said...

We will pray for your family and Matthew! I'm so glad to hear that the prognosis is good.

Anonymous said...

I clicked on the "Metzger Family" link on the blog of the woman who had her maternity photos done so I could tell Joe how beautiful they were (and they are beautiful, great job Joe!) but of course I had to tell you that we will definitely pray for your little dude- Im so glad it sounds like its fixable but definitely, platelets shouldn't be so low :( Our new motto will be:PRAY FOR PLATELETS! Cute pics and such a cute kid! Loved the video..